Friday, December 19, 2014

What I read this year (September)


42. I Work at a Public Library, by Gina Sheridan (finished September 10). In which the author demonstrates the universality of cuckoo library patrons and the inevitability of human excrement on the floor. Like a number of other library blogs and memoirs I could name, this just goes to show that librarians everywhere have stories of this kind. (The one I always tell from my library is the Naked Man on the Staircase story.)

43. The Wife, the Maid and the Mistress, by Ariel Lawhon (September 13). In which the disappearance of Judge Crater is elucidated by the three women in his life. I read this for my coffeeshop book club, and though it was a tawdry story I found it absorbing; I also didn't guess the twist at the end. In fact it made me want to reread the thing, just to see if the author had played fair and dropped clues that I might have caught if I'd been paying more attention. I learned my lesson, too, and waited to read this one until much closer to the meeting!

44. The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien (September 13). In which small hands venture great deeds because they must, and the world is saved, but not for everyone. I started a reread when I was on vacation in Colorado this summer, and stuck with it when I got home. I have honestly forgotten how many times I've read this brilliant book; it's been a favorite since I was nine or ten years old, and every time I go back to it I get something new out of it, because I bring something different with me.

45. A Dark-Adapted Eye, by Barbara Vine (September 24). In which Faith Severn, spurred by a true crime writer's interest in her family history, goes over the complex reasons that caused one her aunts to murder the other many years before. I read this for my pizza parlor book club. I think I was one of only two who finished it, but I enjoyed it. It seemed old-fashioned, but in a way that I like; I was surprised to check the publication date and realize it was published in the 80s.

46. Enter the Saint, by Leslie Charteris (September 25). In which Simon Templar saunters onto the scene, equally ready for a scrap or a song, and while the Snake and Whiskers come to well-deserved bad ends, a Lawless Lady joins the elect. I can see a whole-series reread coming up; they've all been reissued in paperback, so I can finally get hold of the ones I've never been able to track down at used book stores. Watch for the sign of the Saint, he will be back.


47. Lock In, by John Scalzi (September 27). In which Chris Shane, stricken with Haden's disease in childhood, joins the FBI's Haden-related crimes unit just in time to look into a murder involving an Integrator--a Haden's survivor who can let others borrow his body. Excellent near future police procedural, with some very interesting things to say about identity and gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment