Friday, December 12, 2014

What I read this year (July)


34. The Beekeeper's Apprentice, by Laurie R. King (finished July 1). In which Mary Russell stumbles across an eccentric gentleman on the Sussex Downs, and ends up working as the partner of Sherlock Holmes. This is the third time I've read it, I think; I got through most of it on an airplane on the way back from Las Vegas, having picked up an autographed copy at the ALA conference. The author had a stack of Miss Russell's visiting cards, so I asked for one of those as well; I used to be one of her friends on MySpace back when MySpace was a thing, though I was a very peripheral "friend" and I doubt Miss Russell would remember me.

35. Defending Jacob, by William Landay (July 5). In which First Assistant District Attorney Andy Barber, investigating the murder of a student, is completely taken aback when his own son Jacob is arrested for the crime. I read this for my new book club, and we had a good discussion about it.

36. The Husband's Secret, by Liane Moriarty (July 12). In which three women's personal tragedies intersect as Tess deals with her husband's infidelity by having an affair with a coworker of Rachel's, while Cecilia deals with a revelation from her husband's past having to do with Rachel's daughter. I read this for my new book club too, and then had trouble remembering it long enough to have anything to say about it at our August meeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment