Friday, December 26, 2014

What I read this year (November)


54. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, by Cheryl Strayed (finished November 4). I talked my coffeeshop book club into reading this over the objections of our founder, who doesn't read nonfiction for fun. I really enjoyed it, but I have a feeling the scene where the author and her brother have to put down their late mother's elderly horse is going to be the one where we lost some readers.

55. Closer to Home, by Mercedes Lackey (November 8). I felt distinctly meh about this when I read that Lackey was continuing the story of these particular characters, but my low expectations gave me room to be pleasantly surprised. I really liked the novel's take on the Romeo and Juliet story, and I now find I'm actually looking forward to the next one.

56. Engines of War, by George Mann (November 21). In which the Time Lord formerly known as the Doctor, after countless solitary years fighting the Time War against the Daleks, picks up a stray human again against his better judgment, and finds himself being reminded of some things he thought he had forgotten. I've been wanting to see more of the War Doctor since his appearance in the 50th anniversary special, and enjoyed this book so much I promptly looked up some of the author's other work.

57. Childe Morgan, by Katherine Kurtz (November 23). In which Alaric Morgan starts to grow up, but not fast enough to suit the purposes of King Donal, to whose service he was pledged before his birth. I thought a little better of it than the first time I read it; it seemed less like a crowd of characters rushing back and forth in search of a plot. Still seemed more like setup than actual story, but succeeded in making me cry at the end.

58. The Christmas Cat, by Melody Carlson (November 30). In which Garrison Brown must fulfill the conditions of his grandmother's will by personally and individually rehoming each of her six cats, to which he is violently allergic. My coffeeshop book club wanted to read something light and fluffy for December, so I suggested this one. I didn't realize at the time how short it was! I enjoyed it all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment