Tuesday, December 9, 2014

What I read this year (June)


29. Fables, vol. 19: Snow White, and 30. Fairest in All the Land, both by Bill Willingham (both finished June 5). In the former of which, Snow White demonstrate who is really the best swordsman in Fabletown, and in the latter Cinderella is a lousy detective but a damn fine spy. I said I wasn't sure I wanted to continue with either of these series, didn't I? And yet, as you see, I'm still following along.

31. Saga, vol. 3, by Brian K. Vaughan (June 7). In which Gwendolyn and The Will finally track down Alana and Marko, to no one's satisfaction. Brilliant work, in spite of (or maybe because of) the fact that I was thoroughly ticked off by some plot points at the end. Lying Cat had better recover, that's all I have to say about that.

32. Skin Game, by Jim Butcher (June 14). In which Queen Mab loans out Harry Dresden's services as Winter Knight to one of his absolute least favorite villains, Nicodemus Archleone. This just demonstrates that sometimes it pays to stick with a series that seems to be going in ways you're not sure you like; I finished two or three of the recent ones with deep misgivings, but this one was very satisfying in a couple of ways ("Mister, where I come from, there is no try!"). That apocalyptic trilogy is getting closer all the time!

33. Blood Red, by Mercedes Lackey (June 20). In which we find out what would have happened had Little Red Riding Hood grown up to be a werewolf hunter. And this one reinforces the lesson. The last few in this series seemed to be getting kind of repetitive, but this went in a different direction and it was a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment