Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Miss Potter

An unmarried woman in her thirties in early twentieth-century England could have a pretty hard time.  At 36, Beatrix still lived at home with her parents.  She couldn't go anywhere without a companion to maintain the proprieties.  But she had written a story, illustrated with her own paintings, that she thought would be worth publishing, and publishers Frederick Warne and Co. agreed that The Tale of Peter Rabbit was thoroughly charming. Her parents disapproved of her association with a family "in trade," but Beatrix Potter found that she approved of the youngest Warne brother Norman more and more.

I have to admit I've never really read anything about the life of Beatrix Potter, so I can't say how historically accurate this movie was.  I saw it with a British friend, who said all the lovely Lake District scenery made her very homesick; she also said Renee Zellweger's accent was pretty believable.  I enjoyed the movie enough that I'll probably look up a biography of Beatrix now.  It's a very quiet film, playing out mostly in drawing rooms and gardens, but I like that kind of thing.

Originally posted at MySpace 4/17/07

No comments:

Post a Comment