Thursday, April 22, 2010

Fables, vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover

Jack Horner returns to Fables from his own book to give warning of a threat to the universe as they know it: Kevin Thorn, the Writer, now has the power to obliterate the Fables' whole existence with a stroke of his pen, once he overcomes his idiot brother, Writer's Block.

I get all my Fables, like all my comic books these days, not in monthly magazines but in the trade paperback compilations, and I have not been keeping up with the Jack of Fables spinoff series. I read the first volume, and there wasn't a page--there was barely a panel--that didn't make me want to hit the main character over the head with a baseball bat while muttering Daffy Duck's immortal line, "Jack--you're a jerk."  I can only assume he's written to be that obnoxious on purpose, but I can't imagine to what end. Me, I wholeheartedly and unreservedly despise the guy, and I just don't want to read about him.

So it was with some consternation that I found myself agreeing with Jack when he introduced one installment of this story by grumbling that this should have been called the Great Jack Crossover instead.

Make no mistake, this is primarily a Jack story, not a Fables story, for all that Bigby Wolf and Snow White are in at the big finale. That said, I don't recommend that Fables fans skip this one; even though it doesn't much at all advance the main Fables storyline about Mister Dark, some of the side story about what's going on at the Farm looks like it has the potential to be important later, and the introduction of Jack Frost, son of the Snow Queen, was so much fun I might actually look into Jack of Fables again to see what Jack Frost is up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment