Friday, April 9, 2010

Eragon

I finally read this book last weekend when I was trapped in an airport and didn't have anything better to read.  I suppose I could have found a news stand and bought a Sudoku magazine or something, but the friend I was traveling with had loved this book and forcibly lent me her copy, and I wanted to get through the thing and give it back to her before we landed at home.  I did this, although I wouldn't have made it if our flight hadn't been delayed for 45 minutes.

I'm not even going to bother describing the plot, except to say that if you've seen Star Wars, picture it with a telepathic fire-breathing dragon and you've got the gist of Eragon.  The only excuse for this tripe is the author's youth: he's retelling the stories he liked, which is exactly the same thing that I did at his age.  The difference being that I didn't have parents who would self-publish my tripe. 

It's an inoffensive book, and acceptably entertaining if you don't expect any original characters or insights.  Not bad as airplane reading, but I won't be rushing out to buy the sequel.  Nor will I be seeing the movie.  No need; I've already seen Star Wars.

Originally posted at MySpace 12/17/06

2 comments:

  1. I've heard the Star Wars comparisons before... which has put me off reading this book. I'd prefer to read something a little more original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is too short to read derivative novels.

    ReplyDelete