Friday, January 3, 2014

Styx and Stones

by Carola Dunn.

The Honourable Daisy Dalrymple isn't sure why she agreed to help her brother-in-law Lord John Frobisher try to get to the bottom of the nasty anonymous letters he's been receiving, nor how much she, as a stranger in the village with no authority to force people to answer her questions, will be able to find out; but when the statue of an angel falls on one of her suspects in the local churchyard, she knows the police are going to have to hear about the Poison Pen, no matter whose embarrassing secrets get out.

I read the first five or six Daisy Dalrymple mysteries a lot closer to their publication date, back when I was working in bookstores in North Carolina; I'd stumbled across Requiem for a Mezzo on the remainder shelf at work (at the Intimate Bookshop at East Gate, for those who remember Chapel Hill in the 90s), and hunted up the others at the library. I seem to recall I took a break from the series because the library had accidentally skipped the next one in line. I'm less sure why I never picked these up again until now; I've faithfully kept track of each new title added to the series in my little notebook of Books I Want to Read Before I Die (formerly titled Books I Want to Read Real Soon Now, until I realized there were so many I couldn't get to them all Soon), and the library where I work now has them all.

I found this one a lot of fun, and it reminded me of why I liked the series. I love the setting of 1920s England, and Daisy is a great character. By now there are 14 more books in the series, so that should keep me entertained for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment