Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday (3)


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. So here's a thing I'm looking forward to: Leaving Everything Most Loved, by Jacqueline Winspear (from Harper, March 26, 2013).


The year is 1933. Maisie Dobbs is contacted by an Indian gentleman who has come to England in the hopes of finding out who killed his sister two months ago. Scotland Yard failed to make any arrest in the case, and there is reason to believe they failed to conduct a thorough investigation. The case becomes even more challenging when another Indian woman is murdered just hours before a scheduled interview. Meanwhile, unfinished business from a previous case becomes a distraction, as does a new development in Maisie's personal life.

*****
This is another series I've been following for a while. I picked up the first one because I was interested in the time period; they're set between the world wars, mostly in England. And I liked the character of Maisie, finding her way as a professional woman in a profession she doesn't share with very many people. I think these would be great mysteries to recommend to people who don't read mysteries, but like historical fiction.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a HUGE historical literature fan, so I don't know that I'll read this one, but I hope you enjoy it!

    Check out my WOW.

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete