Saturday, March 6, 2010

His Majesty's Dragon

At the height of the Napoleonic wars, British Naval captain Will Laurence discovers an unusual prize in the hold of a captured French frigate: a dragon's egg, nearly ready to hatch.  The officers draw lots for the extremely undesirable job of harnessing the newborn dragon--whoever does so must abandon his naval career and join the considerably less reputable Aerial Corps--but the dragon ignores the unfortunate midshipman who drew the lot and heads straight for the captain.

Anne McCaffrey meets Patrick O'Brian in this series by Naomi Novik.  I'm not much of a Patrick O'Brian fan, never having managed to hold out for the first three chapters (after which, I'm told, the action picks up considerably), but this book was so much fun I read the whole thing after work last night--something I rarely do any more.  The second volume is checked out at the library where I work and not due back for nearly three weeks; I may have to buy a copy.

Originally posted at MySpace 8/19/06

No comments:

Post a Comment