Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Postman Always Rings Twice

A lifelong drifter finds a reason to stay put for a while when he sees the gorgeous young wife of the man who offers him a mechanic's job.  She thinks he's pretty swell too.  But if they're going to be together they'll have to find a way to remove the only obstacle: her husband.

Let me admit up front that I have never seen the movie with Lana Turner.  I'll have to look it up now, and see how it's different from the book; a lot will depend on whether they made it before or after the institution of the Hayes Code, I reckon.

The book is pretty steamy, in that 1930s elliptical way.  The sex is not described, but you're left in no doubt what's going on.  There's nobody to like; the two principals are both pretty sleazy.  I guess that's the point.  But the book is so well written it kept me flipping pages.


Originally posted at MySpace, 3/25/06

No comments:

Post a Comment